Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jam of the day, upcoming concert: "Mirror, Mirror"

Artist: Dr. Dog
Song: "Mirror, Mirror"
Album: Shame, Shame
Released: April 6, 2010
Label: ANTI-

Upcoming show: Dr. Dog and Sondre Lerche
CMU's University Center
Saturday, November 20, 2010

I don't know how they do it, but CMU gets an amazing assortment of bands to play on campus, and it saddens me how few of the students seem to care. Case in point: I asked one of the classes I T.A. whether anyone would be going to see The Books that weekend, and no one even knew what I was talking about. I suppose it doesn't matter, in the end, since I get to see some great bands for free and close to home. Swellegant!

Dr. Dog is one of those bands that a friend or two of mine really liked but I didn't bother to listen to because their name was off-putting. Seriously, their name makes them sound like a silly hip-hop spoof group on The Muppets. But eventually, my friend Deepak shared an album or two and I listened and was hooked. I've been particularly attached to their latest album, and downloaded it when it came out in April after listening to it on NPR for a week leading up to the release. There's something immediately inviting about their songs, with playful melodies and instrumentation (pianos and flutes play major roles, frequently) and catchy vocals and lyrics. I really can't say enough good things about them; their songs can be simultaneously uplifting in sound and profound in lyrics, and that's tough to accomplish, I say. This particular song, "Mirror, Mirror", is a snappy upbeat number with vaguely melancholy lyrics:

Things ain't what they used to be
I gotta devil after me
Tell the mirror on the wall
Mirror, mirror on the wall
There's no reflection here at all


I'm greatly looking forward to what they sound like live. I'm sure it will be a fantastic show.



Dr. Dog
MySpace
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Merch

Sondre Lerche
Website
MySpace
Wikipedia
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment