Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jam of the day: "No Love Lost"

Artist: Joy Division
Song: "No Love Lost"
Album: An Ideal For Living EP
Released: June 3, 1978
Label: Enigma

What a song. I knew nothing about Joy Division or their music before college, but luckily a friend of mine shared a copy of Substance, the singles compilation, and it was eye-opening. I'm pretty sure I went around humming/whistling the guitar riff of this song, among others. But it's been a while since I've heard this one. What reminded me of it today? Why, the New York Times crossword puzzle, of course! I grabbed a paper copy on campus yesterday and finally sat down to do the puzzle tonight. The clue for 67-Across reads "Bad blood" and after hammering away at that corner, finding the crossing downs and piecing everything together, NOLOVELOST fell right into place. And I had to go find the song and play it right away. And now I will share it with you.




"Through the wire screen, the eyes of those standing outside looked in at her as into the cage of some rare creature in a zoo. In the hand of one of the assistants, she saw the same instrument which they had, that morning, inserted deep into her body. She shuddered instinctively. No life at all in the house of dolls. No love lost, no love lost."

No comments:

Post a Comment