Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Upcoming concerts: a shitload!

Upcoming concerts: Ted Leo, Drink Up Buttercup, Elf Power, Frontier Ruckus, Margot & The Nuclear So and So's, The National, Cymbals Eat Guitars, PAVEMENT

Okay, so I'm leaving town Thursday afternoon via bus, off to the glorious Big Apple to see Pavement play in Central Park on Friday evening. Needless to say, I am incredibly excited about that show, and it will be great to spend a few days in the city and see some folks, too. Only slightly detracting from those facts is that there are tons of shows happening in Pittsburgh this weekend that I'll be missing. Here's a quick rundown.

Thursday, September 23
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists at Diesel. An indie rock legend, for sure. He played at this very venue in June 2009 with Titus Andronicus and locals Landline. It was fantastic. If you're going, get there early. We all know Diesel pretty much sucks.

Drink Up Buttercup at Thunderbird Cafe. I've only heard a few of their songs but they caught my ear with some catchy guitar-driven hooks. Check out last week's feature in the City Paper for more info.

Friday, September 24
Backyard Tire Fire at Schenley Plaza. I really don't know much about these guys, but it could be fun. This is WYEP's monthly Final Friday shindig.
Elf Power at Brillobox. I strongly encourage you to see this one. I wrote about it before; go read that.
Frontier Ruckus and Emily Rodgers at Thunderbird Cafe. I've heard of Frontier Ruckus and heard nothing but good things. I've seen Emily Rodgers a couple times and have seen nothing but good things. This one could be good if you're more into the folksy indie-rock styles.


Saturday, September 25
Margot & the Nuclear So And So's at Brillobox. They've also been here recently. I've heard their album Not Animal and it's pretty solid.
The National at Carnegie Library of Homestead. What can I say? This has been sold out for weeks. They are awesome.

Sunday, September 26
Cymbals Eat Guitars at Brillobox. I saw them earlier this year and it rocked. Openers are locals Satin Gum; they also rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment